Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Smokers Smoking.

Before I start this entry, I'm saying it first.
I don't hate smokers per se, but I distant myself away while you're at it because reasons. If you feel you're gonna get offended, by all means, leave already. I've dated smokers, I'm  always surrounded by smokers. I have smokers as friends for years, I still hang out with them. A lot of them have tried offering me sticks, I don't take it. I'm just not interested.

Why don't I pick up the habit?

Because I find no absolute need to.

I've asked a lot of people why they even begin to smoke in the first place.
Peer pressure. If you think you're one of them suffering from this peer pressure shit? My middle finger is doing a standing ovation for you. It is your choice. 'Friends' might be pushy in getting you to start, but it is ultimately up to you to decide. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen/heard anyone forced a lighted stick into a non-smoker's mouth. If you get that treatment, get the fuck away from that person already. He/She's gonna hand you a gun someday to kill people and you will do it. Why? Because you don't have the guts to say No.

And to all you mother bullshit going on about it reliving stress, it doesn't even do ANYTHING for you. Right, people have different means to relieve stress. I'm just really intrigued by how they would rather spend that 10-15mins smoking than working on something that directly ease the stress. Everyone's threshold for 'stress' is different, I agree. Still, it doesn't account for anything. You know what smoking does? Cause more stress for you right in the pockets, and if you cared, your lungs.

The best excuse I've seen all my life - 'cause they have nothing better to do.
Smoke when waiting for a bus/cab.
Smoke when waiting for food.
Smoke when waiting for someone that hasn't arrived.
Smoke when playing games.
Smoke after shower.
Smoke before shower.
Smoke before going to bed.
Nothing to do? Smoke.
What is this! For lack of a better hobby, go read a book or something. Download some pdf, read and work some imagination. Better, change into your running gear and go for a jog! Get some fresh air in instead. And you know what! Smoking immediately after meals is very harmful. Research and experiments claim that smoking one cigarette immediately after meals can cause harm equal to smoking ten cigarettes normally through the day. One’s chances of getting cancer increase drastically if such a condition prevails.

Oh and you know what? 9 out of 10 people I've asked, they said they are not addicted and can quit anytime they wanna. I didn't even ask them if they are hooked on it or not, they just tell me in defense. For fear of me judging? I don't know. You tell me. The other thing I also don't know is, why act like an addict if they are not. Why not stop it? Save your money and lungs for greater cause.

I'm dead sure I won't have to go through the list of harmful effects smoking does. Everyone picked up their first cig knowing the consequences. I won't even try to dissuade people from smoking. If they wanna, they will. They don't need another voice to tell them not to.

Then why am I affected by smokers?
Here is why.
*This is why am I affected, not why other people is affected. If you disagree, I can't help it.

 It is a wasting a great deal of my time. You may think I'm a miser to not even spare this 10-15mins. Look! My middle fingers are having boners. Instead of me sparing 10mins, how about you sparing a thought for me? All the 10mins I spent added together, who is going to return me that amount of life? Not trying to imply anything but a lot of people seem to think they always have the time to smoke. A lot of times that I'm rushing for time with another person. When nearing the destination he/she will always be like 'ey wait, smoke one stick first can?' CANNOT LA! If can then I rush so madly for what! Then wanna say I am uptight, I am just trying to be puntual as much as I can! DAFUQ!?

Of course not on all the occasions they make me wait. There are also convenient times they smoke while I'm busy. Like, when I'm having my dinner. I don't mind okay. It is okay if you gobble up your food so fast and I'm only half done and you excuse yourself to somewhere else for a smoke break. I don't mind being left alone. But not everyone's so thoughtful. Smoking tables are always a piority when finding seats. If we manage to get one, that's when the nightmare begins. It's like, second-hand smoking perpertually. Need I say more? I already know that all smokers don't really care for their own health. I don't take extra precautions taking care of mine either. But I'd like to have as little contact as possible.

I definitely don't like my food nicotine flavored. Not to mention the smell that stays afterwards. You know, like after a BBQ, there's always this smell clinged onto your shirt? Same with ciggarettes. Smokers don't really believe me when I say it, but I'm telling you. Yes, there is a distinct scent to us non-smokers

You know the ugliest thing of the smokers I see, they don't care enough for people around them to take effort avoiding non-smokers. Even myself, I wish more than anyone for people I love to stop the habit. I tried to get them to quit. I striked deals, I made bets, I distanted away. Nothing ever happens. Nothing. This makes me sad. It gets me thinking. Maybe, no one really cared after all. Maybe, something have to happen to someone before they wake up. 

I am really not encouraging people to quit smoking. I'm saying, if you wanna light up, go somewhere further if you know your friends don't. You can smoke till the cows come home, just have the courtesy to at least know that not everyone is a smoker. Peace.


No comments: