Saturday, December 04, 2010

Disappearance.

I feel rather out of touch with the world for a period of time. Here, allow me to explain the reason for my disappearance. I made a decision that is going to change my life. As of 20th November 2010, my highest academic qualification is only an O'levels Cert. That's right, I made a happy decision of giving up my studies in I.T. altogether.

Now, hold your horses.
I'm pretty sure about more than half of you out there are starting to scold me. Even wish you'd threw a rotten banana at me, am I right? Right below would be the rationale behind my leaving of school.

1. Lack of Interest.
As simple as it may seem, the I-word plays a hugeass part in my field of studies. If you're not interested, you're not. I'm not doing things like history, where you may be bored to tears, but you have a model answer that you could memorize fo the papers. I tried, I really tried my best to generate some love fo it. I couldn't bring myself to do it anymore.

2. Repeating repeated modules.
Let me do a quick recap for my 4years in poly so far. I completed a complusory 3years worth of academic calendar in RP. And I failed a whooping amount of NINE modules which resulted in my staying back fo another academic year to complete my course of studies. I reviewed my grades, and I found out that even if I tahan through my final year (as most of you people advised me to), I would still be unable to clear my course. And eventually it will lead me to stay on for the 5th year. Each sem in poly is about 2k, which means I'm owing the bank about, SGD16k right about now. I'm not gonna top up another 4k to be unable to get the paper and end up getting kicked out instead.

3. Dreams
Let's admit it. We all know that more than 50% of poly grads do not get jobs that is related to their courses after graduation. I'm 100% sure I would belong to one of them. I've said so often "I'm not an I.T. person." Many of you would probably take it as a passing remark, and that I would get my ass to school eventually. Believe me, I mean it much more than I look like. I've always been interested in the Arts, and handling events. Even if I get a Diploma in Events Management, believe me, it takes experience, not papers to get a job well done. I'm 21, just nice to venture out into such areas, gain experience and be happy. Even if this fails, I do not believe that anyone who is willing to work in Singapore won't get a job to survive.

4. Opportunity.
I chance upon a job offer of all my interests combined.
I get to sleep in everyday, even waking up at 5pm, I still can make it on time for work.
I get to meet all kinds of people and interact with them.
I get to handle events, although on a smaller scale.
I get to have an income that beat most poly grads'.
I'm doing a legit, proper job. With CPF, no less. With all these factors, why not? And of course, I'm in a generally pleasant environment. I'm happy.

With the 4 above reasons, and a very firm decision, I decided to be a dropout. I been through up to months and years of thinking before this final decision. Even though I've been saying that I wanna leave school fo' months. Believe me, it takes tremendous courage to put it into reality. Especially the fear of not knowing what the next few weeks, months and even years ahead might be.

I'm also unsure of what the reaction would be of you guys after reading my post. Some of you could sympathize, some could smile and ask me to go for it. I can even imagine some getting angry and pissed off at me already. =) I have some things to say to a handful of you. That, would be posted on a seperate note.
Whatever happens, I made the decision.
I'm shoudlering the responsibility to answer fo anything that's gonna go wrong in my life.

All in all, I really do feel that I'm much happier now.

No comments: